Monday, December 20, 2010

Coming to terms

     This is going to be short but sweet, it is very late and I am very very tired!!! First of all let me say how blessed I am to have such a wonderful family of friends surrounding me!! This past weekend was wonderful!!!

     Onward! Okay, so I am coming to terms with someone that has been REALLY hard for me and I think for everyone else who practices natural horsemanship. Everyone has their own style: the way they ride, lead, load, drive, or even love on their horses. Everyone always thinks THEIR approach to horses is right. I know of beginner riders who mimic people they think ride well, when in reality, they are mimicking disaster. Now I am an honest person, and I know my limitations, I know when I see something that is wrong, and I know it needs to be fixed, but teaching someone how to fix it, eh, I am not there yet. ANYWAY my point is, I want so badly to always offer my help, my advice, my two cents, what ever you want to call it. I know people can do better!! I know their horses can be happier and the relationship between the two could be built and worked and made stronger! I know this with EVERYTHING I am! BUT BUT BUT BUT, it is not my place, it is not my horse, not my human.

     I talked to Mirka about this yesterday, and all she said was 7 words: "All you can be is an example". Okay, sooo not really want I wanted to hear. I would have loved her to tell me to run up to them, jabber about everything they are doing wrong and how they need to start doing NHS. Really, I would have loved that, because I can do that!!! But for me to stand back, and let people do there thing.... ugh, thats so hard!!

     So,  I have come to terms. I am going to keep my big mouth shut. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear" (that one is from my Mandana). No longer am I going to throw lessons onto people, offer to help them, or give "free" advice. When they are ready, I will be here, doing what I know is right and best for my horses and my people.

     -E

No comments:

Post a Comment